Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni > Class of 2020 Graduation

Class of 2020 Graduation

In 2020, the Class of 2020 graduation event was cancelled amid the global pandemic. This year, they were finally able to return to commemorate their bond with St. Julian's School.
11 Dec 2023
Alumni
Class of 202
Class of 202

For years, I eagerly awaited my turn in the cherished St. Julian’s Traditions, those yearly events that had become synonymous with our school. The anticipation built with each passing year, each passing class, with the promise of unforgettable moments awaiting us outside St. Julian’s. But when our moment finally approached, it was swiftly taken away by an uncontrollable force - Covid-19. There were no exciting balloon fights, no emotional final assembly, no nerve-wracking final exams, and no grand graduation ceremony to bid us farewell. It felt as though we knew what the next card in the deck was, but once flipped, we didn’t even see the game we played anymore. The pandemic disrupted the grand finale we had all envisioned, leaving us with a sense of unfinished business. The world adapted. We graduated off Zoom and had a lonely drink in the garden with 10 of our tutor mates, each spread 2 metres away from the other, hidden behind a facemask. This was meant to be my last St. Julian’s event, something so unalike the community. But amidst the chaos, something cooked - the significance of St. Julian’s. The memories and the longing for the traditions we missed were not easily forgotten. It wasn’t just about the events; it was about what they represented. St. Julian’s had become more than just a place of our learning; it was the background against which we painted our stories, forged our friendships and embarked on our journeys. In the face of adversity, we discovered the true essence of our school’s significance. The resilience and determination of my peers and parents served as a reminder that breathed life back into the memories of St. Julian’s. Reminding us of the strength instilled into us by the school and pushing us into the greatness we chased. Together, we decided to bring the missing card back to the top of the deck. No matter how far along in the game we’ve come, we were determined to play this card next. We found ways to connect and rekindle the spirit of our traditions, even from a distance. It was great that we finally got the graduation we desired. It was made possible by the persistence and collaboration of the Class of 2020, an unstoppable force where emotion ruled and admiration thrived. To be surrounded by so many people I unquestioningly trust is a blessing and a privilege to call them my friends.

Diego Souza
Class of 2020 alumnus

Please see photos of the event below.

Gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Class of 2013

We were delighted to host the Class of 2013 for their inaugural 10-year alumni reunion – a momentous occasion! More...

Tom Wood

How many of us would be doing what we did if it wasn't for the incredible foundation given to us by St Julian's School? More...

Sir Claud Russell

In search for an illusive image of one of our founders More...

On Wednesday, 27 March 1985, Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, with His Royal Highness, Prince Philip, visited the school… More...

Mrs Bucknall

The combined efforts of our Founders started the story of the leading British School in Portugal More...

Most read

Mrs. Pereira is photographed by the memorial bench dedicated to João Alberto da Fonseca Aguiar Jr.

Mrs Zelia Pereira served for 27 years as a teacher and member of the School Management. She was the IB Diploma Coordinator at St. Julian's for 14 year… More...

João Stilwell Zilhão

A truly special place to learn and grow More...

Pedro Lucas

A vibrant international culture, which I deeply cherish More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech